The Oakland Public Library has over 5,000 tools…and growing. They average 100 new sign-ups per month….well over 1,000 new people every year. That means they’ve outgrown their tiny Temescal Branch basement and a rented shipping container that sits behind the library. Simply put, they’ve run out of room.
Operation Toolbox – an expansion plan generously designed by Baran Studio Architecture. It retrofits 2 shipping containers to create 550sq feet of additional space.
- New area for signage or even murals
- An improved loading zone with better accessibility and more parking.
- A roll up door for security.
- Auxiliary roof to keep the interior cool in the summer.
- Hardscaping with pavers to increase cart mobility and all weather access.
- Placement along the property line to discourage illegal dumping and maximize the space for outdoor workshops and classes.
- Windows to provide better oversight and more natural light.
- Exterior ladder storage, natural tree shade, and roof overhang to keep walkways dry
- An outdoor storage area for rakes, shovels, and other garden tools.
- And inside… secured, staff-only storage for expensive tools.
- Plus an additional circulation area with better efficiency and room for an educational display area.
Friends of the Oakland Tool Lending Library is currently raising funds to help make this dream a reality!